HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How did you get started
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Roost em 1st

Default RE: How did you get started

I began really hunting when I was 16 and able to drive myself around to hunt. i grew up in the country and had been shooting a BB gun forever. I want to be outside all the time. I had a father who didn't hunt and rarely took me fishing though when we went it was fun. I rode a bike to fish often. My first goodsize bass came when I was in the 5th grade fishing like a fool in the rain after school. 4 lbs. Worst looking mount I've ever seen.

I hunt for many reasons but can't tell you why I started. Too many variables. My son is 3 1/2 and talks about hunting already. I'm trying not to over encourage him but have taken him, with hearing protection, quail hunting. He loves being outdoors as well. When Walker was only 10 weeks old We were having lunch after church with the family. An older gentleman who looked to be a farmer leaned over and said, that's a boy who likes to be outside. I guess he was right.

My father now wants to birdhunt with me. I travel around the midwest for Pheasant and he now thinks he'll come hunt. Says he has a spot in South Dakota to go to. I don't have the heart to tell him I'll probably never go to SD for pheasant. Doing just fine on wild birds in MT, ND, and Nebraksa. I'll have to hunt with him but am wondering where was this gesture when I was 12 or 13 or 14 or 15. I killed a deer that first year and had no idea how to gut it but somehow did.

I hunt because of something deeper than any ad or peer pressure. Thinking about I've found a lot more out about myself while hunting than anywhere else.