HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how long do you leave the hide on your deer?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:35 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how long do you leave the hide on your deer?

onebullet the aging process for wild game is a much debated issue amongest hunters. I personally don't believe any aging is required in game animals, I have done it both ways and have found no difference in the meat quality or tenderness with venision in particular. I do believe their are benefits however to relax the muscle fibres post death, which really means the removal of rigor. Process happens within 24 hours after death, as long as the animal does not become frozen in this period. On occasion due to weather, etc I have had to hot bone or process prior to this period while I have found in some cases the meat might not be as tender if you will as hanging for the approx 24hrs, the most noticable difference is the amount of blood in the meat after dethawing. It has been said this blood is another reason the meat may have a "gamey" flavour if you will. In this case a simple soak in soy, milk, salt water or acid based merinade to remove or draw out blood eliminates the affects. This is the exact same thing I do with duck breast which are breasted asap in my case and iced if warm temps.

To me aging venison for long periods only cause drying, shrinkage and loss in the end. It can be especially dangerous where the temperature is not controlled, the optimium ambient temperature for aging meat is said to be 37 degrees and no higher than 40. I prefer to not risk my meat and if suspect I will butcher. However like anything we do what works and we feel provides us with the best results. It boils down to personal preference and experience. So "Yes" the debate will continue for years to come!!

Of course I am sure many and yourself will agree the butchering and field dressing process play huge part as well.

Never heard that one!!!

I agree bigger game we treat as well differently skinned, quartered and cooled ASAP.