HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how long do you leave the hide on your deer?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
onebullet

Default RE: how long do you leave the hide on your deer?

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

onebullet, I am one who believes in removal of the hide for cooling purposes ASAP, which does not always mean immediately though! Travelling with a skinned animals can have it's own diverse effects unless frozen, it will be suspect to drying out and debris in a open truck box. In this case I would as well leave the hide on and if warranted in warm weather persay pack the cavity with some ice for a long duration trip. In most cases I hunt where the animal can be hanged, skinned with in a short duration and then I debone prior to travelling home. It really depends on your situation, but my advise is once possible remove the hide vs hang with it on till time to process (unless you have access to climate controlled cooling unit-like a walk in cooler).
its 25-40 degrees where i hunt normally
when i get it home i hang it high in my tree i skin it and watch the temp outside
40-45 is common for me at hunting time falling about 10 degrees lower at night so 30-40 this year was great -this year i aged the deer 5 days outside,because the weather was cooperating- he tastes better than any other i have done i normally butcher immediately after removing the hide-

i do have an insulated a/c garage that might work too if the weather dont cooperate

my dad was telling me that they used to hang ducks by their neck and age them till the weight of the body fell off the neck and the head stayed there -
-i called him a bullshipper but he swears its true-someone else said this is popular in germany
have ya heard of this?