HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Am I just full of c@#% or not!
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Am I just full of c@#% or not!

With good anchor points and consistant form you don't really need a peep. There are plenty of people that shoot amazingly well without them. Heck there are people that shoot amazingly well without sights! Peeps just make things easier and more consistant.

I prefer a peep, especially for target shooting, it really tightens my groups up. But for hunting, some thing like the No Peep, or a kisser button should work well if you practice enough. Although without a peep, any little change in your anchor or head position will effect where the arrows strikes. Like say you put all your hunting clothes on or something and don't line up on the string or sights exactly the same, you may miss. Using a peep is a bit more forgiving in this area, if forces you to be in the same position.

I don't have a peep on my bow right now, or the no peep. I shoot reasonably well with it, I could hit the vitals of a deer no problem. However I get a shot that might be an inch low or to the right every now and then at 20 or 30 yards. Most likey because my head is not in the same spot every time, or my anchor changed slightly from one shot to the next. I wouldn't want to enter a contest like that, but it's lethal at the ranges I hunt from. I don't even use a kisser button, just go by the feel of the string on my face.

I guess it depends on what you want to do, what standards you want to hold yourself to, or how much effort you want to put into getting and staying proficient at it.

Paul