HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Marlin Model 60 .22lr Semi-Auto.

As far as I'm concerned, the Marlin 60's are as reliable and accurate as any equivalent Ruger 10/22 ever thought of being, and only cost about half as much. If tubular magazines aren't your thing, then they're not your thing, the detachable magazine fed version can be had for about $30 more than the Model 60 around here, which is still about half off of a Ruger 10/22.

I've probably owned 12-15 Marlin 60's, or variants of this action, and I've also had 20 or so other rimfire rifles like the 10/22, Winchester pump guns, and henry leverguns. I've also toted a few crickets...I've also got two Anschutz target rifles and a Winchester 55 target rifle.

Barring the three target bolt action rifles and the four target 10/22's I've had/built, the Marlin 60's are as accurate as anything I've shot. I've never had a problem with reliability with any of mine, of course, I've replaced the parts that needed replacing when they needed it...if you wear out a marlin, you've done a LOT of shooting, and certainly gotten your $100 worth of fun out of it!

I've only ever had three Marlin's ever give me any problems, and rightfully so in their cases: the first two were my dad's varmint rifles, 60's vintage, they'd seen 30yrs of varmints, not to mention all the dove and frogs he'd shot with them, he hadn't really spent much time cleaning them, and they should have been worn out even if they were kept clean. The third I did on my own. I learned how to shoot with it, my dad had me practice target shooting with it to keep my Winchester 55 in good shape, he had me shoot 300-500rnds a week through it through most of grade school and middle school.

In any of the three above, they were still accurate, but they'd jam every hundred rounds or so...When my practice rifle started failing, I called marlin and ordered a new bolt mainspring, extractor claw and spring, and ejector....I've not had a hiccup from it since. I did the same repairs to my dad's guns and they've given the same good results...of course, one of them had to be retired when dad ran out of ammo and clubbed a coon with it and broke the stock and trigger group-bent the heck out of the mag. tube too.