HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coyote Question
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
ArklahomaVerminator

Default RE: Coyote Question

If you hunt the open fields it will be best to actually call with the wind blowing straight from you to the place where you expect the coyote to appear. This flies in the face of what most people will tell you, but it simply works. If you have at least 200 yards of open field in front of you, then this is a deadly tactic to use. It is much easier to call a coyote when all things are in its favor including the wind. You have the advantage of knowing the coyotes behaviour and can be ready. I lay prone in the field and point the rifle downwind. I tape a white thread to my gun barrel so that I make sure I call with the wind blowing away from me. In fact, I will not even call an open field unless I have the wind blowing into the area where I think the coyote will appear from. You also gain the edge that the shot will be a face on shot as the coyote will be coming right at you. If you place the dot between the eyes you will get him. The wind plays little effect on the round when hunting this way so the bullet flies true without any drift. I have taken hundreds of coyotes using this tactic and plan on taking hundreds more.

Greg