HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Being happy with what you have
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:36 PM
JOE PA
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Being happy with what you have

Being satisfied with what you have is one of the tough things to do in this free market, advertising driven society, isn't it. I've gotten by with buying used cars, and some of them are nicer than others for various reasons. I used to be obsessed with guns, especially bolt action rifles. I was studying to be a gunsmith, but kinda lost interest. In PA, I only ended up carrying the gun for maybe 4 days tops hunting deer, and had a great gun already, but they can be intriguing. And NO, I didn't get a Lexus or Mercedes for Christmas!

Archery stuff is really about the only "toys" I still play with. Curiosity gets the better of me, and I've tried way too many bows in the last few years to make any logical sense. I have found one that I am very happy with though, and probably will not be buying anything new for a while. It's true, this years "gotta have", "sweetest shooter ever" is next years "obsolete equipment" to some, and the bow companies wouldn't be able to keep going if it wasn't. I can relate to anyone who is curious and wants to find out how a particular bow will feel and shoot. It is very difficult to do that in a pro shop with a dozen shots or so. Still, I do see your point. The times I've shot worst was when I've had too many bows, and can't seem to get really comfortable with one. I have that one now, and something else has to be pretty darned good to make me think about changing.

One more thing, many guys who post about various equipment on different forums are Pro Staffers. They are supposed to make these products look "too good to pass up." A lot of what you read is from people like that. The rest of the high praise is from people who are genuinely impressed with the new stuff that is out there. As others have said, it's their money to spend as they see fit.