HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - moly damage to your barrel
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 06:10 AM
darylc

Default RE: moly damage to your barrel

Try using a product called Fastex if you want a cleaner alternative. Fastex was developed in Europe for precision machinery. They now make a line of gun products including a product for the barrel of your gun and for your bullets. You heat the barrel or bullets to a modest 120 degrees and then coat with Fastex and wipe it clean. At 140 degrees the Fastex bonds to metal and leaves a coating 1 molecule deep, no more - no less. This keeps a layer of this lubricant between your bullet and barrel.

With a new barrel or one that has been cleaned of copper, just pour hot water down the barrel and wipe dry. The barrel will now be hot enough for Fastex and just wipe the bore with your cleaning patches. For bullets, I just put them on a cookie sheet in the oven and heat until warm to the touch. I put them in a batch of Fastex then wipe them dry and they are ready to load. They will even work for cast bullets although I use it on my jacketed bullets before loading. They also make a moly remover. http://www.varminthunters.com/fastex/