HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What makes some Venison taste Gamey?
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 11:19 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What makes some Venison taste Gamey?

I believe a lot of the quality can be traced to the care given as well. Cleaned carcass, allowed to cool asap is very important. I make sure the animal is gutted/skinned asap and internal cavity is wiped clean. If the guts, etc are distrubed I believe it should be thoroughly rinsed off with clean cool water. Before cutting and wrapping I also believe the muscle need period to relax (rigor to be removed upto 24hours) if temps allow hang, if not quartered and fridged or iced. At the butcher table debone(no need to saw) all silver skin, talc, etc should be removed. When wrapping one should try to prevent the cold air from touching the meat, ways this can be done is double wrap, saran then butcher wrap or freeze pack(foodsaver). Finally the freezing process I spread my meat out vs stacking in a deep freezer to ensure it freezes continuosly not spot freezing.

The next is the actually preperation of the meat, wild meat should not be cooked anymore than med, med-rare is even better. The lack of fat means the meat will dry quicker than domestic meats, so reduce the cooking times and pull off while it still has juice and colour. If you must cook it well done then use merinades, bacon, etc to infuse fat or juice to your dish.

Like mentioned do not store your meat in garbage bags, use meat safe bags instead. Any butcher supply store will have clear meat bags you can buyin a variety of sizes. If you ice and no meat safe bags washed plastic milk or pop jugs filled with water and froze work in lieu of cubed ice.