HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK close encounter, very close
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 PM
RobinHood36

Default RE: ELK close encounter, very close

In the ten days I was bowhunting elk for the 04 season I had another adrnaline rusher, heres the story:

It was a cold september morning as I crawled out of the tent, and it began to snow, I grabbed a bite to eat and headed for the timber. The snow was really coming down now as I was making my way to a sidehill where i figured there were elk, as I had seen rubs and quite a bit of sign 2 days prior. The snow was a really wet snow and I was getting really cold now, especially my hands, I was now on the sidehill and I took cover under a big pine tree. I decided to build a little fire, so I reached up and began breaking some dry twigs under the canopy of the pine, and started a small fire, every few minutes I would stand up and I kept breaking twigs from the pine and would sit back down and feed the dry twigs on the fire, I stood back up and was gathering more dry twigs from the pine tree when the silence of the morning was awakened with the scream of one of the loudest bugles I have ever heard, this bulls bugle sounded like he was so close to me-- I just froze in my tracks, I looked around with my eyes but could not see the bull, I quickly stomped out the fire and covered it up with dirt, I grabbed my bow and decided to move down the hill--- BIG MISTAKE--I went about 10 yards and through the trees I could see the bulls head with a massive set of horns, he just stood there staring at me from 20 yards away, I slowly nocked an arrow and began to raise my bow, the big bull had seen enough, turned, and crashed off through the timber. When I made it back to elkcamp I began to think about why the bull just bugled out of the blue, and I think when I kept breaking the dry branches under the pine tree, I am pretty sure he thought there was another bull rubbing his horns and breaking branches with his rack and he was coming in to size up his opponent. Only if I would of just stayed put and never moved, I feel I would of had an excellent opportunity to tag this bull, I will never forget this bulls bugle, everytime I think back how the events unfolded it still gives me goosebumps...RobinHood36>>>============== =====>

Come-on guys\gals---I know theres more stories out there!!!