HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Beginner's Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Scoobiedoo

Default RE: Beginner's Questions

Hi Ashley,
I ditto that - Welcome!

I'd suggest you get a copy of G. Fred Asbell's first book "Instinctive Shooting." Its a GREAT book as starters as is THIS forum as well! Asbell even has video's if you lack a 'in person' mentor for traditional / instinctive shooting. I have shot ALL kinds of bows - be they compounds, recurves or longbows. I personally like a recurve and suggest that to start. I personally find shooting traditional a lot more fun than modern gear and a lot more fun. Its simple, nothing to break, fairly low cost to get started and allows much more 'personal' involvement in shooting. It has a 'warm feel' to wood bows that the hi tech compounds of today lack. And trust me, traditional gear can be (and is) every bit as accurate and effective as modern gear. I feel its much easier to master and you'll just have more fun in general shooting trad gear! With THAT said, lets 'dig in!'

You can set up a backyard range (if your living conditions allow) for little money and practice daily or as often as you like. You'll immediately find shooting a recurve or long bow to be LOTS of fun and you'll grow more proficient daily! Just keep at it! Whether you decide to hunt or not is entirely up to you - but the main thing is just to enjoy shooting and have fun!

I have been a bowhunter/archery enthusiast for 30 yrs so feel somewhat qualified to speak. eBay is loaded with many nice used bows. I'd suggest you look around and have someone from this forum 'mentor' up with you and assist in your selection. Bows are like cars - everyone has their personal favorites. Bear, Martin and others make fine factory-made stock bows. Many private bowyers make fine bows as well if money allows.

I would suggest some of these great used, 'classic' perfectly-serviceable bows to start that wont' break your bank:

Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve - used in very good condition on eBay for around $150 or less!
Bear Kodiak Magnum recurve - used in very good condition on eBay for around $150 or less as well!

Depending on your size/strength I'd probably not go higher than 35-40# of draw weight to start. Nothing is worse than being 'over bowed' and your technique and accuracy will suffer for it and you won't enjoy shooting as well. I shoot only 50# myself after all these years and sometimes even a 45# bow at that. Right now you are concerned with learning correctly! Your strength and coordination will improve as you shoot.

I'd start with Easton Gamegetter or XX75 aluminum arrows, full 5" helical feather fletches, and a nice shooting glove or tab to start. For less than $300 you can outfit yourself with a bow, arrows, shooting glove or tab, field (target) points for your arrows, a book, and perhaps a backyard target or some bales of hay. If you decide in time to go to cedar arrows for their traditional appeal or 'warm' look - I'd add them later on AFTER you have mastered some of the basics. Try not to add TOO many 'variables' to the pot while your are learning. Concentrate on shooting form and skills and accuracy and confidence will follow in order.

Welcome and plse feel free to ASK for help! Many of us are more than willing to help a new archer get started right!

Just remember there are more ways to get from Point A to Point B - meaning, everyone has opinions and setups THEY prefer over others. Nothing is gospel - take what you need or like from others' suggestions and jump in!

You can't go wrong with a nice used bow! I have purchased MANY fine used 1970's Bear recurves off of eBay and have some fine bows in my collection to boot because of eBay.

Best of luck and welcome to Traditional Archery!

PS Something like this would be perfect for a beginner. You can find them for less $ as well and in beautiful green stained wood or brown stain as you prefer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW