HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Beginner's Questions
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Beginner's Questions

Ashley, welcome to our addiction! It's great to have a lady posting here! Please don't let that intimidate you--there are lots of women in the sport, and it seems more are coming to it all the time. I'm working with my girlfriend and her good friend now, and I think women usually catch on quicker than men.

Do you live anywhere near Greencastle? If you do, I can get you some contact information for the Cloverdale Conservation Club. I know a fellow there that could probably be a LOT of help--nothing like personal instruction. Also, one of the biggest traditional shoots in the US is held there in June. If you would like to attend, just holler and I'll get you the information. It is a competition, but you are not required to compete, and there is a ton of vendors there to check out with practically anything you will ever need as far as traditional archery is concerned. I will be there, along with the two ladies, and there is lots of other female shooters that come as well.

For equipment, it's been my experience that a good recurve is easier to find at a bargain than a good longbow. More money does not mean you will get a better bow. Trad archers, in general, are a pretty opinionated group, so be prepared and don't let it get to you if someone says you just got to get this or that bow if you want the best.

As for bow length, poundage, etc., you will need to get your hands on a few bows and see just what you can handle. Don't get discouraged if you cannot control a hunting weight bow right off the bat. You will probably need to get a lighter weight bow to start with to develop your form and accuracy, then if you decide to hunt with a bow move on to a heavier weight after you get the basics established.

Looking forward to your questions!

Chad