HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what do you think about the .270 caliber
Old 12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Cloudwalker

Default RE: what do you think about the .270 caliber

My very first rifle was a Remington model 700 ADL, .270! This is still one of my favorite calibers after many years of collecting them. I'll agree with what everyone else has said so far. Match the bullet to the game and place the shot and your meat freezer will be full.

A short story about my .270: A couple of friends of mine were out shooting one day. They were seeing who could bust a milk jug full of water at 500 yards. One was using a .22-250 and the other a .243, both flat shooters. They both shot about 5 times each and never touched the milk jug. They asked me if I wanted to take a crack at it and asked me what was I shooting. When I told them I had my .270 in the truck, they just laughed at me. I laid down on the ground set up my bipod, took careful aim, squeezed the trigger and the milk jug exploded. I turned around and just looked at the guys with an ear-to-ear grin on my face. Both of them said "oh shut up" at the same time. I picked up my gun and put it back in the truck.

I'm not saying to take 500 yard shots at deer but it will do the job.
I owe that shot to years of practice and about 99% luck. I'm just glad they didn't say to do it again.