HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hoyt UltraTec Report!
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Big Country
Nontypical Buck

Default Hoyt UltraTec Report!

OK, finally got to set up the new ultratec! Here are a few facts and findings.
Hoyts advertised #`s are...
Axle to axle= 38"
Brace height= 7"
IBO speed = 298fps with an Excel cam.

Here`s how it came out of the box...
Axle to axle=38"
Brace height=7 1/4"

First, I set the bow up with the factory strings, which I believe are made with D75 material.
The bow came in with a # 5.5 excel cam= 29" draw.
I checked the tiller and the idler wheel position. Both were good.
I set the bow @ 66lbs.
With a fletcher super peep and a loop on the string, we went to the paper tuner. As always for me, it took me probably 30 minutes to find where the bow wanted to be. I guess that I still can`t think like a one cam guy, it takes me about two minutes to paper tune a twin cam.
Anyway, now we are tearing up and away @ 8 feet from the paper, so we go to 20 yds. and slip three bullet holes through the paper.
Next to the chronograph.
Shooting a 330 grain arrow (IBO) the arrow goes through @ 292fps! Wow, faster than I thought it would be. With another 1" draw length the bow would easily live up to it`s 298fps IBO rating.
Next arrow to try is an X7 cosmic eclipse, with 3- 2.3" easton diamonds, and a 70gr. flitemate point. Total arrow weight is 355gr.
Through the chrono @ 282fps. That`s what I was hoping to see! This is the arrow I will use for 3-d`s.
I now notice that the factory serving is separating, so off with the strings and time to spin my own.
90 minutes later, we are back to 7 1/4" brace height, but the axle to axle is down to 37 7/8". No big deal.
The new strings are made of BCY Premium 450. The main string is 14 strands, I could have gone with 12 but figured the bow was fast enough.
Twisted down to 28 3/4" draw, the bow now shoots a 355gr. arrow 281fps @ 66lbs.

These are the facts, just hard data.
Now comes a short opinion....This is the sweetest one cam bow that I have ever shot. It is a pleasure to see the arrows stretching out at the 50 yard bales. The bow is very "shooter friendly" easy to hold, I love the low wrist grip!
It sure is not the fastest pony in the barn, but it is an accurate, forgiving bow.
One other thing...I did play with the letoff settings a little bit. The highest letoff I could get was 76%, the lowest was 62%. I am shooting it from the 76% setting. I found no speed change from the highest letoff to the lowest letoff. I am not much good at typing a report, so if anyone has any specific questions. I can answer them, hopefully.