HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Interesting tie to this area and Chai Vang
Old 12-28-2004, 01:15 PM
Sswpriz
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Interesting tie to this area and Chai Vang

I can't generalize because I haven't had that much exposure to the Hmongs, but I can tell you my experience from when my dad and I were fishing at a local pond around Milwaukee for trout.
My dad and I were standing maybe 10', at the most 15' apart and we started catching some trout. All of a sudden, one of the Hmongs comes and plants himself right in between us and he starts fishing. After he had caught a fish, one of his relatives comes over and gets between us also. Now picture this, 4 people fishing within a 15' span max. We were literally elbow to elbow and there was no one else with 50' of us. Just the fact that we were catching fish, they decided that they were going to come and horn in on our action.
Well, they were not speaking in English when they were talking to each other, so I figured saying anything to them would fall upon deaf ears, so my dad and I picked up and moved a little ways away.
We saw some other people come and fish about 50' from them and the minute the other people started catching a few fish, guess what, these two picked up their things and went over right between the other two fisherman and proceeded to do the same thing they did to my Dad and I.
It just seems that they have no shame, sense of ethics or qualms of that if there is something to be had, they are going to butt in and grab it, not worrying about what other people think. I think that is why they are gettig the reputation that they are acquiring.

BTW, after a while, they did catch over their legal limit and someone must have called the police or the DNR and they were ticketed for exceeding the limit.