HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK close encounter, very close
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 07:46 AM
RobinHood36

Default RE: ELK close encounter, very close

I had a close encounter this year while bowhunting. I was working myself along a ridge, moving along and cow calling, when a bull suddenly bugled up ahead of me. I quickly moved in close and could make out a 5pt. bull standing in some thick pines about 30 yards away. I blew my cow call and he let out another bugle, I could hear some commotion coming down the hill in front of me, it was a cow and calf and they were coming straight at me, I knelt down and did'nt have time to take cover. The cow and calf was literally on top of me at 1 yard away. She had her nose up in the air sucking in air and blowing it out as though she knew something was'nt quite right, she lowered her head and just stared at me for about a minute, then she lowered her nose to the ground and started grazing on grass, she raised her head up and kinda did this squat thing and showered the ground ( peepeed), there was a slight wind blowing into my face and I could surely smell the aroma of elk now, I pretty much knew I was doomed because there was no way I could even move a muscle to shoot the bull that stood 30 yards away in the timber, if and when he would offer a shot. After what seemed like an eternity, but probably was less than 5 minutes, her head shot straight up and she backed up a bit and bolted up the hill. I knew the cow and calf finally caught wind of me. I seen the bull come out of the timber and he was charging in the direction of the cow and calf, I blew on my cow call, but he would not stop, as instinct told him to get the BLANK out of there!!! But it was sure a hair raising experience to see a huge elk standing in front of you so close you can reach out and touch them-- let me tell you they seem to be alot bigger standing than laying on the ground. I am just glad the big cow did not see me as a threat to her calf, because she could of easily made sushi out of me real quick with her front hooves!!!