HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thunderhead 100 grn 3 blade test results.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:48 AM
5 shot
Nontypical Buck

Default Thunderhead 100 grn 3 blade test results.

New archery products Thunderhead 3 blade 100 grain results:

Accuracy: 4 points
Plywood: 4 points
Steel drum: 3 points
Tire: 4 points
Blades: 3 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Non mechanical head: 2 points.
Total score: 23 blade sharpness rating of A

The thunderheads are a quality made head, the blades and ferule are strong, and the overall workmanship is excellent. The main drawback to them is that they need to be shot on aluminum arrows, or if used on carbons, they must be use along with the universal broadhead adaptor rings. UBAR’S for short. The O ring’s can get crushed under heavy impact, and blade loss is the result. I did not find this to be a problem when shooting in to the tire, plywood or any softer material, but in the steel drum the heads lost all their blades, unless shot on aluminum arrows, or with the ubar’s on carbon. In the tire they penetrated one side with several inches of shaft sticking through, in the plywood the head busted through without a problem. In the steel drum, the head penetrated one side, with the tip sticking through the far side. I did manage to loose one blade about every other shot, irrespective of what type of arrow shaft I used. Arrow flight is excellent, and blade sharpness is outstanding. Like I said before, if Newarchery Products could find a way to loose the O ring , and Improve blade retention, this head would be right in the run for the top spot. As they are now, they are a quality head , and I would feel comfortable using them on most any game. I don’t think you would end up loosing any blades on game, unless we are talking about something like a big Moose shoulder but it is something to consider.