HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK close encounter, very close
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Bullkllr

Default RE: ELK close encounter, very close

I had a whole herd moving toward me in the timber as I walked down a new logging road. I knew they would cross in a draw about 20 yards from me so I hunkered down behind a stump that had been pushed to the road side and waited with an arrow knocked for a legal bull. From where I was I couldn't see the elk until they were on the road or almost there. The first couple came out the draw right where I thought they would. The sides of the road had been seeded with grass to prevent erosion and the grass was green and succulent, so they started feeding immediately. As the rest of the herd approached one cow first appeared and crossed immediately next to the stump I was next to. Range was about 2 feet from my eyeball. I thought that was pretty cool. Then about half of the 60 animals in the herd followed her- all passing about 2 feet from me. Several loked me dead in the eye, like they knew something was wrong but the elk already there must have gave them the ok. And they proceeded to stop and feed, some within 1-2feet of me. I figure I had about 50 animals within 20 yards for about 15 min. until one cow worked her way in behind me and winded me. I was actually afraid o getting stepped on. There were 4-5 bulls, but somehow they stayed in the timber.