HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail
Old 12-24-2004, 11:53 AM
zrexpilot
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

ORIGINAL: MarkIIVT

These threads!! I usually don't respond to threads like this, but I just got to say a few things. Top 10 reasons not to use a .204 on deer...even on the sholder!

1. .204 will be statistically be a crap shoot on the sholder, ballistics calculators show very little TKO, very little mass, very little stored energy, so selecting it for deer is showing stupidity.

26. Killing animals wholesale for herd control, use a .44 mag, 30-30, .308. Don't need flat shooting in this application, just theTKO needed and all these are fine in the less than 100 yds.
8. 4,000 fps velocity does not give the bullet magical properties

TKO numbers are a farse! These are just made up equasions to suit someones perspective on what a big bullet is suppose to do. Do a TKO number on a knife and tell me what you come up with. Not much of a number huh? tell me a knife wont kill.
You'd be surprised on what velocity does, it will punch a tiny 50 gr bullet through steel that a 180 gr bullet out of a 30-06 cant do. Your non-sense on bow hunting really ticks me off. Keep it up and once you ban bowhunting your rifle season will be next.