HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ELK close encounter, very close
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Archer18

Default ELK close encounter, very close

Elk hunting is one of best things that has happened to me. I am 18 and started hunting before I could walk. hah maybe not that early, but I have a dad who is great, he took me into the great outdoors at an early age, and had me hunting elk, I have to be quite honest, I think at 18 I have experienced more elk close encounters than most elk hunters will, only because we put 130% effort into getting into the big boys out there, but this story that I am going to share with doesn't involve that great big 6, just a big, fat, beautiful cow.

This was about 2 years ago...
It was probably about 9- 9:30ish in the morning, we had already been hiking, stalking, calling for about 3 hours now, when we heard what sounded like an elk casually walking along a game trail, my dad hurriedly set me up about 30 yards in front of him, he started softly cow calling, and the walking seemed to get faster, my heart was beating about 140 miles an hour and my adrenaline was maxing out, I had an arrow ready and my release on my bowstring, the foot steps were coming in fast and I was getting ready to pull my bow back, when the elk was finally in my view I saw that it was a cow, she hadnt spotted me yet and I didn't bother to pull my bow back, but as I watching her coming in I noticed she was locked onto me and moving my way fast, I froze up, I didnt anticipate this from her, shes still coming for me and I thought she was going to run me over, and then she stops inches from me, sticks her nose out and starts rubbing it up and down my muzzy broadhead, I sat there in complete shock, I could actually see the very bristles on her nose, finally she stops makes a couple snort like noises and trots off. I ran back to my dad in amazement, he told me he saw the whole thing. Scince then I have been very close to cows and bulls, within 5 yards, but never inches again. I am looking forward to the day it happens again because these Elk never cease to amaze me.

we think what attracted her was anice oil, this sweet smelling scent, I showed it to my uncle that morning and he rubbed it onto his fingers to smell it, then afterwards checked my broadheads before he went off into his spot, so we think the scent was on the broadhead, amazing nose if you ask me, and thats what were all up against!

I just wish we had a video camera to record that, I bet some of the big company brands I was wearing would have liked to use that for a comercial

Do you have any close encounters you would like to share?