HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
El Gringo

Default Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!

Thanks in advance for any ideas that you guys may offer.

I'm in my early 50's, in good physical condition, and plan to do some serious wing shooting here in S. America where I now live. I've been on a couple of dove hunts and the action varied from slow to heart pounding. The cover I've hunted also varied from very open to some pretty thick and nasty stuff which can make finding birds without a dog very difficult.

While I will most likely concentrate on upland birds such as a number of species of doves and pigeons that are available, I will most assuredly encounter quail and ducks from time to time.

To date, I've vacillated between a German Short-haired Pointer and a Labrador Retriever. I think the GSHP would be more versatile though I suspect the Lab may require less overall exercise as an adult. I should add that many years ago I owned and trained an American Water Spaniel. He was a hard hunter, very energetic, but was also hard-headed at times.

I plan to train my new dog myself.

Any input from those of you with experience with these breeds, or any others you may suggest for that matter, is greatly appreciated.

El Gringo