HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Second Growth forest in Northern Dacks
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Sagittarius62

Default RE: Second Growth forest in Northern Dacks

robin of the hood,

I don't understand the regulations fully, or frankly the entire history of the situation, but here is where the deal stands as of now. These lands were once mostly vast timber company holdings. This area is supposed to become roadless, and undeveloped. There is a temporary easment in place at this time that has forestalled that until 2013 I think. Now when these regulations go into effect, all buildings that are not standing on privately owned property, (ground leased from Diamond Paper for the most part), will be torn down. Any buildings like our camp that is on deeded land will be able to stay. We own only about 3 acres surrounding our camp, but the 300 bordering acres that we hunt are also privately owned(not paper company land), so that is safe as well. All paper company lands return to the state, and become roadless and undevelopable. Fortunately the road in is also on private property and will be maintained by the owner(another, very large hunting camp). So other that a couple of large holdings and us everyone else will be driven out. In fact one of the large camps leases a part of their ground from Diamond, and will lose that, as well as a number of their satellite camps. It is all mixed up with the Adirondack Park Agency, the NY State constitution, and the DEC. In fact one of our neighbors ran afoul of these folks a few years back and have basically abandoned their property(an old lodge once owned by a long dead captain of industry, and a local 2nd tier Ivy League school). You may have heard of them, Shania Twain, and Jeff "Mutt" Lange? I guess Switzerland is more hospitable.