HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

I would have loved to have had a 260 but when I was in the market for a new rifle there just didn't seem to be anyone that had one. By the time I had heard of it most of the major gun companies had already stopped chambering it in their standard rifles. I think the immense popularity of the 7mm-08 which only kicks a little more and is based on the same hull overshadowed the 260.

The .260 did not catch on for a bunch of reasons. The biggest is that it does not have the word magnum attached to it. The modern whitetail cannot be killed with anything less than a magnum
Preach, brother, preach!!!! Ain't it the sad ass truth. At the rate we are going I expect to see people hunting whitetails with a 50 caliber BMG and depleted uranium penetrators within 10 years.

On a funny note. A guy I know bought a new 300 WSM rifle and he is just amazed that none of the deer he has shot have dropped in their tracks. They all seem to run 30 to 50 yards just like they did with his other rifle. I mean after all how can these deer withstand the awsome power of the incredible earth shattering SHORT MAGNUM?? Now he wants a 338 magnum because he's convinced that will put them all down on the spot. I just laugh and shake my head whenever he walks away. The last time I saw him he had shot a deer from a shooting house and the scope on his NEW AWSOME SHORT MAG had tagged him between the eyes cutting the bridge of his nose and blackening both his eyes. Oh yeah, the deer ran about 60 yards.