HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Mike from Texas
Nontypical Buck

Default Why did the .260 Remington not take off as a standard caliber?

I have one in a Rem 700 mountain rifle. I love this gun and this cartridge. It shoots very accurate, is light recoil, low noise and does a heck of a job on Texas Whitetails. Everyone in my family from my 11 year old daughter, 15 year old daughter, wife and myself shoot this gun very comfortably and very accurately. I'm not a big fan of the .243 as a deer cartridge and I was afraid that the 7mm-08 would have been a little much for my wife and daughters. The .260 fills that gap very nicely. It has factory loaded ammo up to 140 grains and down to 90 grains I believe. To me this is the perfect all around gun for Texas at least. You can shoot anything from varmits to whitetails and have read of people shooting Caribou and Elk with one shot kills from souped up handloads. The bullet also has a high ballistic coefficient as well which makes it good for accurate shooting at longer ranges.

Unfortunately, Remingtom has elected to discontinue my favorite ammo for deer this year. I was using a 125 grain Nosler Partition and had outstanding results, all were one shot kills and all expired within sight. So it's looking more like it's going to be reloads for me from now on. Oh well, just another hobby to add to the list.