HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling in a buck...did I do it right?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 05:47 PM
joshtribe

Default RE: Calling in a buck...did I do it right?

Today I went back to the blind with my brother at about 3:45. This time, I got all the clothes washed with scent-free detergent, sprayed with scent neutralizer just in case, and then sprayed with cover scent and stored them in bags until we got to the field.

I used the same calling method I did the other day with my dad...blowing once or twice every 10 to 20 minutes. At about 5:15, the same buck we had seen the day earlier come out of the woods about 125 yards away. We watched him for about a half hour as he wondered across the field towards another woods. I blew on the call occasionally, even tried the method recommend about blowing in the away from the buck, but all he did today was look up for a second or two, and then went back to looking for ears of corn in the stubble. Before long, he crossed into the wind that was blowing our lure and odor towards him. The doe uring seemed to have little affect on him, but hey...he didn't smell us either, so that's good. Before long he was at the other side of the corn field where he met up with 3 does and started chasing them around. It was getting dark, but I saw another deer, maybe another buck, come out of the woods by them and run off another deer, maybe the small buck. Perhaps there are two bucks in the area.

Appearently, he had a date planned with the does from the other woods and that's why he didn't pay attention to the lure or the call. My brother and I decided we should try some bait to get this guy. The plan is to dump some 5 gallon buckets of corn on the opposite side of the ditch...about a 20 yd. shot from the blind...and to use Trail's End #307 instead of doe urine. Do you think it would be a good idea to try and bait him instead of playing with his hormones? Do you think maybe he figured out that the call was nothing to pay attention to and will he ignore it from now on?