HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle newbie that needs some help.....
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Nomercy
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

Savage guns are an outstanding value. Their accuracy is hard to beat by any factory rifle, and so is their value. Granted, they aren't pretty, but I don't typically carry artwork into the brush, I carry a hunting gun, my hammers and wrenches aren't gold plated either.

As far as buying the package guns goes, I'm up in the air about it. The scopes that come with them are turds. You get the same great rifle, and the rings are an extra value, but the scope isn't worth much, ESPECIALLY as a varmint scope. If you're only planning to use that scope until you can afford a better one, then go ahead and buy the package, but I'd compare how much you're really paying for that scope (i.e. how much would a naked rifle and rings cost), it's worth about $20 just because it took someone's TIME to put it together, it holds no real value for it's quality. Or, you can buy the package deal, and buy a better scope right off the bat and put the turd scope on your .22lr where it will do "well enough".

If you're really looking to save money, H&R 1871 or NEF single shot rifles can be had for under $200 in most calibers, if I recall correctly, I bought a heavy bbl .243 H&R for $188 last winter. They're incredibly accurate, and you'll get used to loading a single shot very quickly. They're really "handy" for carry (that's a pun, they're called the "Handi-rifle"), lightweight and compact, and just as deadly as a boltgun that weighs 50% more and is 8" longer.