HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail
Old 12-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Stump_MN_Hunter

Default RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

I think that USMC PMI said it perfectly on the subject of when guys use small(varmint) calibers for deer hunting and WHY.......

If I may, I killed a little 4 point with a .17 two years ago, head shot at about 25 yards. Don't have a reason to do it again, and most likely never will. I did it just to see if I could and if that pisses someone off, tough.
It's sort of an ego builder to do it! Just so you can tell your buddies what you just did. OH JOY!! Maybe it makes you feel proud. Who knows. Whatever floats your boat I guess. The only major problem I have with it is....what if a monster bucks steps out 75-100yards from you?? Would you take a poke with that .17, 22-250, .204? Of course you guys would....cause it's a monster. Stupid people do stupid stuff when big bucks are walking around. **DISCLAIMER** I'm not calling those using those small calibers stupid. Just a general statement. Whew...had to put that one in there. Now if you were using a caliber that was designed to go deer hunting with, that type of shot isn't that difficult. Get what I'm saying? Of course all of this is MY opinion.