HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling in a buck...did I do it right?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Blodg

Default RE: Calling in a buck...did I do it right?

Also keep in mind that not every deer you call to is going to react. Over the years I have literally grunted at over 75 different bucks and most of them do not react. I have only grunted at deer that are walking the other direction. I would estimate that most of them keep walking and act like they never heard anything. I know in most cases I was grunting loud enough but they chose to ignore it. The 2nd most common reaction for me is for the buck to stop and listen, sometimes looking around and sometimes just twitching an ear before continuing on their way. The least common reaction for me is when the deer actually changes direction and starts coming towards me. A positive note is that I have never had a negative reaction where the deer spooked, usually they act like they never heard it. Also I have tried several different calls over the years and get the same reactions with all of them. The one I am using now sounds the most like the actual grunting I hear when hunting.

The reaction to the call will depend on the time of year and probably varies from one geographic area to another. The point I am trying to make is that many deer will not react and it does not mean you did anything wrong. I will keep trying myself, one of these days it's going to bring in a big one!