HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting with my daughter story
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 09:29 AM
xd9x19
Fork Horn

Default Hunting with my daughter story

Gotta post a story regarding a recent hunting episodes with my daughter.

Much to my surpise, my daughter has taken to hunting. While by no means a tomboy, she has declared that she is an "outdoors girl" and not into all that frilly, girly stuff. Back on Saturday, Dec 4th my daughter and I were in the treestand doing some hunting. About 8:30, that morning a 5 point buck (#6 had broken off) wanders along about 35 yards out in front of us. There was a relatively narrow gap between some trees and I took a shot. The deer hopped off into some trees, but didn't run out across the cotton field to our right.

I then had to explain to my excited little girl that we had to wait and watch for 20 or 30 minutes so we wouldn't spook the deer if it had laid down. We waited 10 to 15 minutes and suddenly the deer appeared to our right walking slowly. I made another shot that put the buck down for good (the buck had started to move before my first shot and I ended up shooting it in the gut).

By now she was almost giddy with excitement. She climbs down from the treestand and as I lower some my rifle , I look down and what do I see? My little girl doing a dance at the bottom of the treestand! You would have thought she had bagged the deer herself. If I live to be 100, I will never forget that moment. And to top it off, my wife wasn't at home when she called to tell her mother about it, so I've got a recording of her talking 90 mph telling momma that we got a deer. I may have to post that if I can figure out a way to transfer it from my answering machine to the computer.

While neither my son nor my daughter has yet to bag their first deer (this is our 3rd year hunting), I do believe that the day each of them gets their first deer, I will be more excited than either of them!