HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling in a buck...did I do it right?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 07:06 AM
joshtribe

Default RE: Calling in a buck...did I do it right?

Scent control is something that takes time and planning, we had little of either the other day when we went out. We plan on going out again on Christmas Day, so by then I hope to have everything washed and put into garbage bags. We'll take our showers, brush our teeth with baking soda,...the whole deal.

The other option to radically complete scent control is, like you said, to hunt from a treestand. I have one set up about 200 yards away from my blind on the corner of the woods. Although the blind is appearently the hotter spot, from the tree stand, I bet the deer in an adjacent woods can hear my call, whereas from the blind they couldn't. So basically from the treestand I'd be hunting two woods instead of one. Ah ha...there's another question, how long is the range for a call?

The problem I have with the treestand is that only one person can hunt from it. I've bagged my deer so I'm done for the year, but I'd still like to go along with my dad or bro as they try to get theirs. That's mostly why I don't want to hunt from the stand cause then I can't go! lol.

Playing the wind is easier when stalking or whatever. But when you are stuck in your blind, you are basically at the mercy of the wind. If the buck happens to walk around to the wrong side of the blind, the one did the other day, then you're sunk.

If a hunter hunts the same area for days and weeks using the same call, will the deer eventually figure out that it isn't real? I mean, does don't normally bleat that much. Think the bucks could figure out what's going on?