HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail
Old 12-19-2004, 01:03 AM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

WOW wEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I am sure glad the smallest gun I have ever owned is a .270. Of course for some this is still two small for anything but varmits![&:] I would like to own a 22-250 for varmits and target practice. Being serious I would never use it for any deer! My brother in law went on a mule deer doe hunt this last november with two of his friends. They both brought along hi powered 22's, a 223 and a 22-250. My brother in law was shooting his .300 WM still dialed in from elk season. I told him that I would try to convince his friends to use a bigger caliber for the hunt. Especially because a mule deer doe can be a big bodied animal, and their furr in late season is thicker. But he didn't want to hurt their feelings, and if they wounded any deer that he would try to put it down in a hurry and that was Ok with them. BTW they both owned bigger guns, they just wanted to try to shoot thier doe's with the 22's. My point to all of this is more people try and do hunt with the 22's more than we think, and I too believe that they wound a lot of deer in the process. Not trying to add to the war already here, so if I offended anyone I am sorry.