HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tough Question
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 11:43 AM
DUCKSTAMPEDE

Default RE: Tough Question

You have posed the connundrum of all questions for a hunter. My family believes it is a process of darwinian proportions-by that I mean we were made hunters and gatherers and it may take a million years for mother nature to select out the hunting part of our existence. There is no reason to hunt to put food on the table so that need has passed some time ago. We hunt and believe we do so with the intent of putting something on the table and therefore nothing is wasted. We hunt doing everything in our power to make the kill as merciful and quick as possible but nonetheless our effort ends the life force of another living thing. We do not hunt for the blood sport of it although I would take umbrage with those who count trophy heads as the reason for hunting or count Slams as the enjoyment of the hunt. In me there is something absolutely primal about being in the outdoors. I come from a family where for many years the women hunted right along with the men. Today, I can only count 3 hunters out of a family tree that includes 87 people. I did not teach my children to hunt as their mother was against it from the beginning.

I have no answer but share the question with you. It is in my genetic makeup even though pulling back the bow or pulling the trigger still sends a mix of adrenaline and dread with each time. I say countless prayers under my breath during the hunt that the kill may be swift and merciful. I say them again when the meal is served. I am old now, and I find that many times I just pass the shot up and admire the animal but I never doubt for one second that passing the shot was my choice.