HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - flushing.....help!!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM
HOSS
Fork Horn

Default RE: flushing.....help!!

I learned a great tech. for teaching whoa a long time ago. it involves a check cord and a tree. first you put a hook on a tree and then you take a check cord and run it under your dogs collar uo over the hook in the tree and back down and loop it around your dogs haunchs in front of the hind legs. while you hold the end of the cord tell your dog to whoa and once they have come to whoa you back away slowly paying out some line from the cord if the dog breaks whoa and goes to move pull the rope thus swinging the dog into the air. (they hate this) then pick the dog up by the collar and the rope in the back and replace them to the spot of the whoa. repeat this process it shouldn't take to long for them to get it it has worked wonders on my gsp's althogh my new pup fought the rope some she learned to whoa and once you get them whoaing good at the tree you can omit the hook and tree part and run the rope under the collar and loop the haunches and when you give the rope a tug they get the same feel as if they were at the tree but it's important to pick them up and replace to whoa pos. so they know what is expected of them.