HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to reloading
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
tula9130

Default RE: New to reloading

Hi kelbro,opinions vary on equipment.Several years ago I got a Lee Anniversary kit because I was not impressed by factory ammo.I am stilll happy with the kit and it will do just fine for the average hunter shooter and economical.You will be happy reloading and the .270 is a relatively easy caliber to load for.You can`t buy ammo that is good as your own reloads....period.Even on your first batch of ammo they will shoot real good.

If you were to get the Lee system,go ahead and get the Deluxe Die set.It comes with a full length sizing die(so cartridge will fit in any rifle) and a collet die(for neck sizing brass that has been shot in one rifle only keeping brass separate).I like the collet system because you don`t have to size with lube,trim,chamfer,deburr every time you load them.Just the first time.On the neck size cases....it is hard to get neck tension perfectly every time,but a very light crimp with the Factory Crimp die solves all the woes extremely easy and it only costs another $9 to order.Best ammo I`ve ever shot.

A tumbler is not necessary at this time.When you put the sized case on the Lee trimming system you trim,chamfer case mouth,deburr outside case mouth,and polish case with steel wool all in one step.EASY!.Especially when you chuck the system in an electric drill.It polishes better than a tumbler.

The powder dispenser in the kit is pretty good with stick powders IMO.I use an empty .270 case as a powder trickler to bring the beam on the scale up to perfection.

So....IF you go with the Lee system order:
Anniversary Kit and
(a).270 case length guage/shellholder
(b)cutter and lock stud(for chucking in drill
(c)Deluxe die set .270Win
(d).270 Factory crimp die
(e)Modern Reloading by Lee

You should be set for reloading.

I like H4831 Hodgdon powder,WinLR primer,bullet of choice.I believe your first time reloads will be better than any you can buy.Read the book first and follow it step by step.It`s actually quite easy.

To answer your last question......you`ll probaly never shoot factory ammo again except for rimfire stuff!

I can load a box of .243 Win with a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet that perfectly fits my rifle for under $5 a box.Compared to nearly $20 a box or more for factory ammo.Stick with starting loads as you don`t get that much more velocity with never exceed loads and they are safe to shoot in 90 degree heat or freezing weather.

Whatever you choose good luck and have fun!