HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to reloading
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Solitary Man
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to reloading

The first thing I'd do if I were you is buy a couple of reloading manuals and read up on the basic reloading procedures. Then read em' again. There are several reloading manuals available. Hodgdon, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Lyman, and Hornady come to mind. Also, if you know someone who reloads, get him to show you the steps.

As far as reloading equipment is concerned, you can buy starter kits. I think Lee makes a fairly inexpensive starter kit. RCBS has a Rockchucker kit that's pretty much the standard that all others are judged against. It should have most everything in it except for the dies. I didn't go the kit route myself when I got started. I just bought individual components that I thought would be the best for each task. It was more expensive that way, but I got what I wanted. The guys at Sinclair Int'l helped me a lot with my equipment list and I keep adding gadgets all the time.

I'd also recommend that as you proceed, post any question you might have here on this board and any other reloading forum you might have knowledge of. The only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask. I learned a ton from guys on the internet.

There's no guarantee that your reloads will outperform factory ammo. However, if done right, it is more likely than not that you will achieve better results with reloads. Plus, you get a level of satisfaction and enjoyment out of reloading that you can't possibly get by going to the local Walmart and buying off the shelf.

Here are some online resources for reloading equipment and supplies:

www.midwayusa.com
www.lockstock.com
www.grafs.com
www.sinclairintl.com

Good luck. BTW, I'm heading to the woods for several days, so I won't be available to answer any questions until next Wednesday. But there are a lot of guys here who are more knowledgable than I am who can help you.