HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowhunters' double standard?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 01:49 PM
silentassassin
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunters' double standard?

Contrary to what some may believe, the introduction of crossbows into the archery season, in Georgia, did not have any effect on the numbers of bowhunters in this state, at least from a statistical number. many bought crossbows and hung up there compounds, reason being, from those I encountered at my local bowshop, crossbows are like my rifle and easier than the compound. The others that began hunting in bow season were predominanty already purchasing the "all weapons" license because it came with the WMA stamp, cheaper than buying seperate WMA stamps and big game tags. The state did not see a statistical increase in the numbers of bowhunters.
What you seem to be missing is that if 50 people started bowhunting this year that wouldn't have otherwise then it is worth it. These people may crossbow hunt for a couple of years and then go to compounds and then wind up passing the tradition on to their kids who turn around and pass it on to their kids. When if that door hadn't opened they may have never even entered the sport.
The introduction of crossbows is potentially the beginning of a slippery slope for bowhunting. I know for a fact legislation will be proposed this year to eliminate the archery season altogether in Georgia. one of the many reasons cited is that constituents of a goldne domer have told them bowhunters can not kill enough deer with bows and crossbows.
Well if that's the case then crossbow hunters should help your cause not hurt it. If you were in trouble with out the additional deer kill numbers that crossbows added then letting crossbow hunters in seems like a plus.