HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger 204
Thread: Ruger 204
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 06:14 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Ruger 204

As awesome as the .17 Rem is its barely mentioned anymore and the "general public" doesn't know the difference between the Rem vs the HMR.

Elevation wise for both the .204 and the .22/250 it wasn't a matter of knowing the ballistic tables, even the Hornady factory reps were "got me" when asked about the 1k yd performance. The greenlight was given too us by the rangemaster (Cody, WY municipal range) on the hill behind the range with two targets. One being a pine tree appx 5' tall in a clearing and one being a steel ram target placed at a known 1k yds. I simply shot them to see where the dust flew up and adjusted accordingly. By the end of two days of shooting we had EVERYTHING in centerfires hitting respectably on the two targets.

As far as the .22/250 and the .204 the best we could approximate was somewhere in the 20' range (yes feet not inches). And wind drift on the tiny bullets was equally amazing. At some points the Wyoming wind was carrying the bullets in the 8'-10' range (again feet not inches). One particularly accurate gun I shot was a Kimber 84M in .22/250 with a 6x24x50 Swarovski atop it. I have had one of these scopes myself for 5 years and was familiar with it. Even when cranked too 24 the target was held at appx 7 o'clock and nearly out of the sight picture. That should give you a clue as too how much elevation we were dealing with.

I also put several boxes thru a .308 Montana and a .270 WSM Classic at those same ranges. Their drop was considerable as well, but the windage certainly was less particular and easier to estimate.

Geterdun,
RA