HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ?'s on German short hair training
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 08:53 AM
gselkhunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: ?'s on German short hair training

Get a poop check at your vet, make sure there aren't any problems first. Then every time your dog goes in the house, put his nose in it and tell him NO, then put the material in a paper towel and take it and him outside and put it in the potty area and tell him OK good dog. Be ruff about it, not mean, this is the point in your pups life that one of you has to be boss, if you want a good dog you better take the job. As for the collar, it is for reinforcing what the dog already knows. Be careful, if you use a collar when your dog breaks on a point and you pop him, you just told him birds are bad! The collar is a great tool, my dogs don't go out with out one on. Mine is used for a come back call or proofing. Proofing is done so your dog won't want some animals. Mine have been proofed for snakes and porcupines. To proof a dog is kind of mean, but it keeps them out of danger. Take a snake for example, let the dogs nose lead him in, tell him NO and hit the hot button. Then do it again. Most dogs will learn in quick order. You will know it worked when they avoid the snakes smell. As for when to start the collar, that would be when your yard work is done. Another time to be careful, fly aways, teaching a dog to not chase is a fine line. He is pumped up because of the bird, if you hit him with the collar and he didn't hear COME because of being pumped up, you just told him birds are bad. Question, are you whistle training your dog also? I train for whistle commands as well as voice, because they will hear a whistle sometimes when they don't hear your voice. Then you won't need to hit the button at all.
Gselkhunter