HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 or 7mm rem mag for deer?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: 30-06 or 7mm rem mag for deer?

IMHO its a toss up. Everyone thinks a 7mag is that much better because its a "magnum" but look at your ballistic charts and out too 400yds you will find less than 3"-4" between comparable bullet weights when comparing the two. A quality bullet in 150 weight in the 30/06 will do anything that needs done on deersized game and ditto for 140s in the 7mag. What I have done with my '06 I have done with my 7mag. (I have 1 '06 and 2 7s, but that doesnt mean the 7 is twice as good, it just means I got an extra 7 as a gift lol.)

For elk sized game its the same thing only heavier bullets and reasobable distances (would stay <300yds unless just the perfect quartering away shot was presented). 180s for the '06, 160 for the 7mag. Personally I would stick with the Federal Vital Shok 180 Barnes Triple Shock in the '06 for a "one gun, one load for all" hunting you are likely to be doing on most game. For the 7 I would go with either a Barnes X or a Win. Fail Safe in 160 for the "onesize fits all" category. On game larger than deer I just wouldn't stretch either of these calibers at long distances. They just don't have spectacular velocity, but if you can use a little patience and know your bullet drop they both have great penetration.

Both calibers are slow when loaded too their max (weight wise). The '06 doesn't push a 200 or heavier grain bullet fast enough to merit going with them IMHO. A quality 180 will yield better results. Likewise for 175s in the 7mag. Save the heaviest bullets for faster cartridges.

Good luck,
RA