HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Melted Sabot?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 AM
MLKeith
Typical Buck

Default RE: Melted Sabot?

I have a stainless Omega which has a similar barrel to your Encore. T/ C barrels tend to be very tight. Loading any sabot in mine is difficult when clean and almost impossible when fouled. The worst fouling occurs with 777. I did a lot of stuff to try to use 777 powder. I bought the .25ACP rifle primer conversion breechplug. I bought all three configuration breechplugs. I lapped the barrel with 200 passes of JB on a patch over a bronze brush. I shot Powerbelts to smooth the bore. After all this I still could not load a second shot with a Hornady sabot after shooting ffg 777 with charges from 80gr. to 100gr. I tried American Pioneer Powder which allows one or two shots in a row without a swab. I shot Pyrodex which also allows a couple of shots but is real dirty. I finally found some Black Mag3 powder and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I can shoot multiple shots without a swab. Point of impact does not change from clean to multiple shots after clean. Velocity is higher over my chronograph with equal volume of BM3 and ffg 777. Recoil is softer and feels like less which with the increased velocity is almost difficult to believe. I can use 209 primers or the .25ACP conversion and it is slightly better with the rifle primers but 209's work with this powder too. I no longer worry about the 777 crud ring. PS; BM3 is supposed to be non-corrosive (that part I don't trust as yet).