HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Melted Sabot?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 05:15 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Melted Sabot?

deerplague

Thanks for the information - I really belive your hi-tec Encore is a better rifle than you give it credit for.

I agree with Cayugad about the possibilty of the stem burning & even the probablilty that it could happen. I have never shot those sabots so I am not a qualified source of information on that fact.

The 460 NE bullet that Cayugad suggested to you is a very good lead projectile and if you are required to shoot lead but if you can use sabots there are a lot better bullets out there that shoot flatter and faster. If all of your shooting is a t relative short ranges the 460 is outstanding. If you plan to test the limits of the Encore or you want to be ready to shoot the limits of that gun I would go a different direction.

I myself shoot basically two different bullets, a 300 grain bullet for Elk and a 260 grain bullet for whitetail/mule deer. The 260 is an amazing bullet. I must tell for hunting I do shoot Nosler Partitions - for the range and recreation I shoot Hornadys.

The elk load is 100 grains of t7-2f loose powder, an Orange MMP .458 Sabot, and Nosler .458 (45/70) 300 grain Partition - they work great on the thicker skin of an elk. The deer load is the same powder Nosler Sabot and a 260 grain Nosler Partition. Hunting is not necessary to swab between shots - I can get of about six shots before thay get dfficult to get down. I believe a part of this is the way i treat my barrels - things just do not stick to them + t7 is a little cleaner than any of the pyros... These bullets are quick and relatively flat as compared to the 460. We do not get to ambush deer and elk very often here in this part of Idaho a lot of the shots are at moving animals especially late in the season - ranges vary from 10 yard to ??? what ever your personal limit is. I really feel more comfortable with these ballistics.

Winchester primers are awful hot, might want to try some CCI 209's or even some french Cheddites - they work really well.

Here are a couple of targets just for general information....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...loader/458.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...der/Target.jpg

Hope some of this helps some - let me know if I can help you with anything...