HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New rifle and ammo.
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 05:26 AM
USMC PMI

Default RE: New rifle and ammo.

I use the Winchester/Nosler BST bullet, I have fired factory loads. I like the bullet in general, I use a 270 and a 270 WSM for almost everything. I have dropped many deer with this bullet as well as Black Bear. In 22-250 I have shot many ground hogs and coyote using the CXP 1 version of the bullet for varmits. Never had a problem, they seem to make a bigger impact at a distance than other bullets. Just make sure to use the correct bullet for the job, I believe that Winchester sells the CXP 1 and the CXP 2 bullets for the 25-06 (another pet of mine after my beloved 270's). The CAP 1 is for Varmit and claim to fragment or expload on impact (they will penitrate a ground hog or coyote but really tear them up) the CXP 2 is for light or thin skinned game such as white tail (this is also what I use on Black Bear as their skin is not nearly as tough as their bigger brother out there, they claim to have rapid controlled expansion, they are killers and are very effective. At distance (about 350 - 400 yards) I have noticed a few times that they did not exit a whitetail hit in the vital zone, dissipated all their energy on the animinal. Killed them on the spot, the bullets were usually somewhere near the hide on the opposite side of the shot, so they are going deep enough. Good luck.