HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Late bowseason Elk
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late bowseason Elk

I cheated this year and hunted them with a rifle. This is the first time in 12 years that I have hunted strictly with a rifle. It's a long story why I did, and I had my reasons. I plan on going, and will go bowhunting next year for them. There is no bigger thrill than to hunt them during the rut with a bow in the hand. Back before Idaho had zones I hunted the salmon area (unit 28) late season bow any elk if I didn't fill my tag during the rut. I did like hunting late season and miss it, like right now when I am dreaming about bowhunting elk next year and it's still 10 months away. But I love hunting elk any time that I can. And the september rut is the most exciting of all for me. You can ask my wife it drove me nuts in september when I was working and waiting for my wife's hunt to open Oct. 1. I can give it up (bowhunting) for special reasons which was the case for me this year, but it would kill me to miss it again! Anyway to answer your question I did fill my tag this year on a rifle hunt. It was a general bull hunt that opened oct 15 here is southeast Idaho. I hunted with my inlaws, (they only rifle hunt) and this was my chance to bull hunt with them thus far. I admit because of the company it was a lot of fun for me. I have posted pics before but here is another pic of my bull this year. Not a big bull, but a good eater!