HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My deer season has been a disaster
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
rockytop
Nontypical Buck

Default My deer season has been a disaster

I been hunting a couple of hundred acres behind my house for the last 6 years. I know all the bedding spots, food spots and when their going to be there. However, about two weeks before the bow season, the land was sold on the courthouse square because of default by the owner. I had no idea that was about to happen or I'd been there. A local contractor bought it for development (that in itself is enough to make me sick). But, I called the guy and he said I could hunt it for the remainder of this year. the only problem is, he told at least 10 other people they could hunt it. They have walked all over it, through the bedding areas, feeding areas, even through my yard. After two months of this one of them came to me the other day and said there wasn't any deer on the property and I just laughed. I said, your right, because you and your buddies have walked all over them, all the decent bucks are long gone and anything thats left is nocturnal by now.
It's really been great the last several years to go out my back door and hunt and I treasure the memories but that's all that's left of the place. I'm putting my house up for sale this spring and moving further into the backwoods. Hopefully, I can buy enough land to hunt and call my own but I doubt if I can afford a really decent sized plot of land and build a house too. Maybe it's time I retire from hunting and hang the old 7mm mag over the fire place. I been deer hunting 35 years and I'm out of places to hunt right now.