HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another debateable question
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:19 AM
MILLERTIME10
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another debateable question

ORIGINAL: WALLHANGERSONLY

i have taken good bucks with every weapon legal here in IN. for examples 150 inch 12 pointer with a shotgun, 151 inch 10 pointer with a muzzel loader (patch and round ball 54cal.),137inch 8 pointer and 142 inch 11 pointer with my bow, and 138 inch 10 pointer with my 44mag. . there are others but those are my best and i won't settle for anything less now, but anyway i can honetly say my bow kills are my most rewarding. if, however ,you have never used a pistol on a trophy deer it's a thrill too.
Wow, now all you have to do is kill a 160 incher with a spear and a 153 incher with a knife and you will be complete!!

Are you hunting for something to brag about to others or are you hunting for the meat and/or challenge between you and the animal? You are the one that is pulling the trigger and you are the only one that can answer this question. If you are worrying what others think, it's for the wrong reason you are hunting. You asked for an opinion. That is mine.
I appreciate your opinion, and all others. I was not posting this b/c of what I would feel or what others would think of me. I just posted this thread to get the opinions of others and see what they felt about it. The only reason I am attempting this is for the challenge. I think it would be 10 times easier to go out and harvest a doe within 300 yards. I figured I would limit myself and accomplish something that I haven't ever tried before. I hunt purely for the love of the sport and the tremendous rush and feeling you get when harvesting an animal. I also enjoy eating the game that I take. So for he replies saying that I may be in this sport for the wrong reason, I will disagree with you. I was raised to respect all wild animals and to get the best out of every outdoor experience, including the days you go out and see nothing.

my question is why cant you shoot a buck with a bow during rifle if your rifle tag is full?archery season runs straight threw rifle.
call the game warden in your area and ask him
I am pretty sure you can't shoot more than one buck during rifle regardless of the weapon. That is what my taxidermist told me. I was talking to him saying that atleast I can go out and harvest a buck with a bow now. He corrected me and said that you are only allowed one buck druing rifle. ( atleast I hope he is right, or I would have waisted 2 weeks of being in the stand). We looked in the regs and couldn't find anything that backed him on it, but he was 95% sure he was right. Now thinking about it, maybe you're right, I should call the Game Warden and ask for sure.

Well, anyway, I went out yesterday, the last day of rifle, and tried to harvest the doe with a pistol. Got skunked, never even saw a deer. Oh well, there is always next year to try it. Good luck to everyone, and once again thank you for your opinions.