HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - flushing.....help!!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 12:00 AM
jashoffa

Default RE: flushing.....help!!

On top of using planted birds and a check cord, I would like to point out the 1st 3 rules of dog training 1. Praise 2. Praise 3. Praise. When ever he is doing what you want him to do praise. And ignore what is happening when he is doing what you don’t want him to do, which ties into the not shooting when the dog flushes instead of points. Also I usually walk in and flush the bird and expect the dog to remain on point. IMO doing this teaches the dog that pointing is his job flushing is mine. When training with a retrieving dummy you can use the stay command, or better yet whoa, throw the dummy or have someone else throw it. Sometimes let him get it. Sometimes you go get it. This can keep the dog guessing as to which action will get him the praise he so desperately desires until you give the command. With work you will shape your dog and correct the bad habits. However, It may not be easy because it is always more difficult to correct bad habits then it is to make sure they never start. I am just wondering how you came about getting the dog now that she is a year old? Well good luck to you.