HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting form
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 06:12 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting form

I would like to expand on what Zak said. The one thing about a coupmpound bow is that the drawlength MUST be right (or very close) or nothing else about the bow matters at all. To get very close measure your wingspan and then divide it by 2.5. This may not be right on but it should be close enough to be tweaked later. Do not overbow yourself. 60lbs is enough to kill anything in North America. You should not have to struggle at all to draw a bow.

And what Allen said is OK but what he missed is that not only a lot of beginning shooters have too long a draw, but fully 80% of the people shooting bows today are at least 2" too long. That's why I question how a guy can get someone to help him when those people don't know how to get their own drawlength right.

What is proper form? Join a local archery club and watch who's shooting what. Find the best TARGET shooter you can and see if he'll help you. I say target archer because most bowhunters are just bowhunters. The very best shooters use the very "most repeatable" form. There is always help to be had at local clubs and pro-shops. Some for a fee but most for free. It's how we give a little back to a sport that we love.