HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - whats your age and how many deer you killed
Old 12-05-2004, 10:33 AM
allhandlesaretaken

Default RE: whats your age and how many deer you killed

46. Hunted three years as a teenager in Colorado with no results and one bad experience with some irresponsible hunters and gave it up. Big mistake. Started up again at 42 in Montana when my sons got old enough and am loving every minute of every successful and unsuccessful hunt, as long as they are with me. In fact I got a buck I am proud of this year, but it was much less rewarding because I was alone that day. No-shot days with family or friends are better than target-rich days alone.

I told my sons that when one of us gets one, we all get one. (Better add that it's all done legally - nobody hunts on anyone else's tag). In four years between us we have gotten four muley bucks, one whitetail buck, three buck antelope, three cow elk, one antelope doe and two whitetail does. Elk hunts were two-day outfitter public land horseback hunts. The others were public, private, and block management land on our own. I now spend all year working out access opportunities. It has taken many, many unsuccessful days to get shots, but I'm glad for their early success. I don't think they'll give it up like I did.