HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun barrel length?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 02:56 PM
BOSS-2

Default RE: Shotgun barrel length?

Paraoh2, you are right, my barrel is a winchoke 28". It'd be nice to have it a few inches shorter, but the cost for a new barrel is going to run me what the gun itself is worth. Maybe I'll find a used one cheaper somewhere, but till then she's staying at 28". That said, it was my dad's gun, though he rarely shot it, so it has significant sentimental value to me. I plan on using it for a long time...but just getting into hunting itself.

Don't worry, I won't be just running out there shooting everything in site..I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I do anything.

A quick question....because I've read bits and pieces everywhere, but want it all in one spot to reference:

Can you guys give me a run down of when to use the following:

1) chokes....(i.e. choke type for Duck, quail or dove, turkey, (skeet for practive) )

2) Shot size for all above

3) My barrel takes both 2 3/4" & 3"....when would it be advantageous, if ever, to use a 3"??

4) I understand that steel shot (or other metal) is being used for waterfowl due to ducks or geese dying from eating lead shot. Fortunately, this gun is new enough, according to Winchester, to use steel shot, but is there any ill effects one can get from eating something that has had lead shot used on it?? NO, I don't plan on eating the lead shot, but if the shot was lodged in the meat...then removed, does this have any ill effect on the person eating it?? This may be a stupid question, but just want to be sure.

I think that does it for now, but look forward to your responses. I'm just getting into hunting at age 29 and you guys have been a terrific resource, and a great help for someone who never was fortunate enough to be taught all this at a younger age. Thanks again for you time and experience.