HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "I only hunt for the meat"?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 11:37 AM
IL-Cornfed
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "I only hunt for the meat"?

This is actually a pretty good thread and it is turning out better than I thought it would. Like I said, I mean no dissrespect to many of the "meat hunters" on these boards but it has been my experience that the ones that call themselves this is my area are simply not that good of hunters. It is far easier to make excuses and kill the first deer that steps out than it is to truly learn the habits of older more mature animals in any given area. Many hunters simply aren't willing or can't take their hunting to the next level. However, I seriously tire of the "meat hunters" constanty making it sound like "trophy hunters" are "bad for the sport! [:@] Have ya heard of the B&C or P&Y clubs??? These orgs most certainly haven't been "bad for the sport".... in fact, they have made the sport what it is today!

I guess ultimately it is the unpredictable nature of the beast that keeps me so hopelessly addicted. Thus a "trophy hunter", IMHO, is simply a serious sportsman who set goals and then thrives on these challenges. That's what it's all about for me! I learned long ago how to "trick" the "average" deer and these days I would rather watch and learn anything else I can from them then send an arrow through their lungs. MY goal is not to take a buck unless I would be very proud of him. It just make absolutely NO sense to me to kill a buck just to saw off the rack and toss it in the closet or my garage. If he is not nice enough to want to proudly display than I have NO business in taking his life. Plus, I have also learned..... IF it is meat that you want then WOW do you get alot of it when your buck weighs 300#!!! IF it's not antlers that you want and you don't care at all about them then PLEASE take a Doe so the herd won't grow and let that yearling buck walk! It's all about a quality experience with a quality herd. Good luck to everyone regardless of what you're shootin' for this season